Because the internet loves lists: My 13 Favorite Singers
I don’t know why I’ve been doing the list thing so much lately, probably because I’m freshly unemployed (more on that later) so now I’m obsessing on singers; these as always are in no particular order, much like my kitchen right now who’s cleaning I am busy procrastinating.
1. Freddy Mercury, duh. What hasn’t been said about the late great Freddy Mercury. I have always been a huge Queen fan, for the cumpulsory Youtube video I actually chose first is a duet with Monserrat Caballe from his “solo” album “Barcelona”.
2. Bruce Dickenson, as hardcore an Iron Maiden as I am super duh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhmsgVqWUQ&feature=related From his solo album Accident of Birth featuring Adrian Smith on guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51NziNUoaJQ&feature=related And of course the infamous “Delilah” performance.
3. Elvis Costello. God I love this guy, fantastic singer songwriter and inspiration. I also think I love his stuff because I can effectively sing almost all of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrcNnIV6FV8 this one I can’t sing, I massacared it last time I tried. Still some of my favorite of his songs are from his collaborations with Burt Baccarach.
4.John Frusciante. He singlehandedly gave me the courage to get up and sing, now you know who to blame. I’ve gone on & on in a bunch of posts about this guy so I’m moving on.
5. Johnette Napoliano of Concrete Blonde. I love her. I just absolutely adore the sound of her voice. Hands down my favorite female vocalist, she is just so great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B1sDDKyuXQ Also the lyrics of this song are incredibly badass.
6. Perry Farrel. Jane’s Addiction & Iron Maiden are my 2 favorite bands, and Perry’s has a one of a kind voice. His music is a huge inspiration, both with & without Jane’s Addiction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCCfazKxzk My favorite song actually.
7. Luciano Pavarotti, I’m a huge opera fan and an unintentional look alike but the big man could sing.
8. Aretha Franklin, my first exposure to her voice was probably in the Blues Brother’s movie, but there are much worse places to meet somebody. She is a great singer, songwriter and arranger, just fantastic. The first video I have is her bravura performance of Nessun Dorma so you can compare with Luciano.
9. Rodger Daltry. Everybody knows I’m a rabid Who fan, both the band and the Doctor… Cringe inducing jokes aside, that fantastic manly bellow sweeping over the top of his over the top cohorts, he is one of the great voices period.
10. Carl Anderson. One of the few non traumatic incedences in my Catholic School upbringing was that every Easter season the teachers would “phone it in” and play us the movie Jesus Christ Supoerstar and his performance of Judas in it was mesmerizing. I still think that Jesus Christ Superstar is by head & shoulders Andrew Lloyd Webbers best work. “Heaven on their Minds” is my favorite of the entire musical, I’ve been working on that song for years and I’m still not ready to sing it live.
11. David Bowie. This guy has done it all, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he counted to infinity twice. Great singer, songwriter, actor and generally fascinating all around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOvgfOkxgQ&feature=related Heroes, my personal favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJuFwkZAAg I think this is his most underrated song.
12. Chris Cornell, from his early work with Soundgarden to Audioslave and his solo work he is a great, great voice. When I’m writing a song I hear his voice in my head, then I go to sing it & it sounds like Tom Waits getting a prostate exam. His solo album Euphoria Morning showcases his voice best of anything he’s done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aut1VuM2Jiw&feature=related Preaching at the end of the world is my favorite of all his stuff, I’m a bit of a sucker for anything broadwayesque.
13. Ritchie Havens. I love the passion & delivery that this guy has. That’s it. He just has a voice that grabs you and make you think that anything he is singing is the most important thing ever at that moment.
So now that whole thing is done, so now the internet is one list the richer and now I’ll go clean my kitchen.